On Friday 26th May 2023, CIL commenced transfer of all micro-electronics and power device staff and equipment into its new world class semiconductor facility in Andover UK. The power electronics division was transferred by 16th June and the micro-electronics division is now manufacturing qualified product from this new facility.
Contained within the ISO7 cleanroom we have a segregated room with specialist LED lighting to house CIL’s wafer dicing capability complete with DISCO DAD3361 dicing saw, water treatment and wafer mounting equipment. CIL is now receiving custom die from its customers, dicing and then providing full assembly services either into custom packaging solutions or bespoke devices for SMT assembly within CIL.
Cleanroom qualification was completed at the end of May 2023, the changing rooms and cleanroom transfer room were qualified to ISO8 and the 15,000sq ft cleanroom was independently qualified to ISO7 (class 10,000). Over the next 2 months, all of CIL’s remaining semiconductor packaging equipment and personnel will transfer into this facility, leaving room for further expansion and investment in the 32,000sq ft manufacturing space in the existing facilities at CIL House.
It is planned that by the middle of September 2023, this new semiconductor packaging facility will house the following equipment
- 2 off DATACON 2200EVO Auto die bonders for die placement using Si, SiC, GaN, GaAs devices
- 2 off HACKER Auto die bonders mainly placing Si based devices
- 2 off manual die bonders
- 5 off ASM 589 Auto Al/Au wedge bonders
- 2 off ASM EAGLE60 Auto Au Ball bonders
- 1 off K&S Asterion Heavy Gauge Wedge wire bonder
- 1 off DAGE 4000 die shear/wire bond pull tester
- 1 off DAGE Prospector die shear/wire bond pull and full diagnostic test system
- 2 off Nordson Asymtek S2-920 Auto dispense systems
- 1 off DAGE Quadra7 X-Ray/CT Scan system.
- 1 off Nordson GEN7 Scanning Acoustic Microscope (CSAM)
- 1 off Keyence VHX7000 Digital Microscope with sub-micron laser measurement
- 1 off Boschman Sinterstar Innovate F-XL sinter press for silver sintering of SiC & GaN die, SiC & GaN packaged devices and power module to base plate sintering.
- 1 off Boschman Pre-heat and cooling tower system for silver sintering
- 1 off Boschman UNISTAR Auto plastic overmold machine. This is capable of over-moulding BGA’s, LGA’s, QFN’s, Plastic IC’s, Power discrete and Power modules.
- 1 off Scheugenpflug VDS U1000 / LP804 VDU Auto epoxy fill system
- 1 off DISCO DAD3361 die and device wafer saw system complete with wafer mounting equipment and water treatment plant.
- 1 off flux free soldering system and lid sealer
- 6 off 3D Printers
- 60 staff of which 30 are engineers
Further equipment already on order and due to be delivered in 2023 includes
- 1 off DATACON 2200EVO Auto die bonder, this will give CIL 5 off auto die bonders in total
- 1 off ASM 589 Auto Al wedge bonder, this will give CIL 9 off auto wire bonders in total
- 1 off Nordson Asymtek S2-920 Auto dispense system, this will give CIL 3 off auto glob top systems in total
CIL is now on an almost permanent recruitment drive for engineers, technicians and staff to ensure that the UK has a premium world class semiconductor packaging facility to allow its customer to develop and manufacture in the UK.
More news to follow !!